Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FREE Virtual Public School

Go down 
+7
writermomichele
Forgetaboutit
kbrown
Nhadyia
almom
mccarty51
Godslittlegirl
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Godslittlegirl
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-06

FREE Virtual Public School Empty
PostSubject: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 8:38 pm

www.k12.com

Check to see if it is available in your state. I think the program is great. It's free...it follows the school system...you have a teacher assigned to your student/students....alll materials are sent to you for the year...and possibly a computer also. It is part of your school system.....so if you are looking for an alternative for your child, this may be an answer for you.

Also, Oregon just got on board http://www.k12.com/orva/
Back to top Go down
mccarty51
Family
Family
mccarty51

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 3:31 pm

You can also check out http://www.connectionsacademy.com/ I used to go through k12 but found that I like connections curriculum better. And it's done much the same way, you get a teacher, materials, computer and reimbursed for your internet and is free. My kids love doing school at home and love going to see their teacher and all the wonderful field trips they have every month.
Back to top Go down
Godslittlegirl
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 1:45 am

Wow...that's soooo cool that they are starting to offer these virtual schools now. My son works sooo much better when he is not in the regular classroom setting. The connections academy sounds great too....Unfortunately, they don't offer it in my state. :pale:
Back to top Go down
almom
Hitman
Hitman

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 7:24 am

man, i so wish this was offered in Alabama. I've been wanting to homeschool my son, but at the same time, he needs the authority of a teacher and such and this would be awesome!!! I'll keep checking both sites to find out if it's ever offered in AL.
Back to top Go down
Nhadyia
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Nhadyia

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:07 am

I think this alternative is a fantastic intervention. There are so many reasons why this is needed in all states so that all families can make a serious and important choice for their children if they wish to go that route. So many kids excel out of the main classroom for one reason or another. I see this being offered in more and more states as time goes by. Its one of the huge positive changes for the future.
Back to top Go down
almom
Hitman
Hitman

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 6:28 pm

Do you know if you HAVE to live in one of the states that it's offered? I mean, I know that one of them has a virtual school in Georgia and the other one has one in development in Georgia. So, I mean, here in Alabama, could someone enroll for a Georgia virtual school? Since a lot of it's done by computer..ya know. According to how often you have to go meet your teacher, field trips, whatever....if i's like once a month or every few months or so, I would be willing to travel to Georgia.
Back to top Go down
Godslittlegirl
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 2:38 am

Hmmm.....I get what you are saying...however...you have to be a resident. It's just like registering your child for public school.

You have to provide the proof of residence...utility bills, etc
You have to provide shot records...
You have to provide one of those "what looks like a lunch form" but it really is to decide if your child is eligible for the computer....
You have to provide previous school records....

Oh yeah....it's all the same.....the only difference is ...your child is going from the comfort of their own home....

One really big plus about it is....if you feel your child is more advanced that the grade he or she is in....they will be tested out...and placed in a higher grade....

Also, your child takes an assessment, and the curriculum is tailored to your childs learning style.

I think it's great.

Now....if you happen to "MOVE" to one of the states that offer it...and live with a cousin or something like that.....well...I really don't know how that works. You may want to call them and ask. geek
Back to top Go down
almom
Hitman
Hitman

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 3:31 am

Thanks Godslittlegirl! Good to know!

I wonder who I could contact in order to hopefully get one of these going here in Alabama? I noticed on one of their websites it mentioned something about they are in contact with various parent groups, legislators and education officials to start these in many states. So, is there anyone I could contact in my state to maybe at least get the word out that such a thing exists nowadays? I mean, is there a STATE Board of Education..would I even contact them? State legislators and such?
Back to top Go down
kbrown
Family
Family

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 11:45 pm

My son was enrolled in www.k12.org last year for Kindergarten. Overall, I liked it but with everything there are pros and cons. The curriculum is state based and based on your child's assessments. Here in Cali they expect kids to be rocket scientists by 3rd grade. Not happy with California requirements and planning to move back to Kansas ASAP! But, I like having my son home.
Back to top Go down
Forgetaboutit
Family
Family

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 3:22 pm

We are in our second year with K12 in Colorado and it's going very well. It is state based so you do have to do most things "their" way, but you do have some flexibility. For instance, we are substituting their math with Saxon since we like it better and some of the work is "optional". You can adjust your schedule to how you like, ie. taking days off or working on weekends.
All in all we like it~

Here's another resource though for any age or type of homeschooling. It's free and my favorite!
http://www.homefires.com/clickschool/
Back to top Go down
writermomichele
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 3:34 pm

I have been looking at this for a few years, ever since it became available in Arkansas. I think it's wonderful and I'm sure my kids would do great.

It's home-based public education so you have to fulfill all the requirements for physically attending school at a public school. Many people who home school like the freedom of being on their own but this is public education and you are not on your own. That I like. I am also a big proponent of public education in the first place so I like this choice that people are being given now.

Only ONE thing holds us back ... I feel that I am not patient enough to do this right now with my little kids. Plus I love the fact that they actually GO to school now. (Okay, that is two things.) But it is definitely an option for later on, either that or a magnet school that will come pick them up right in front of the house every day!
Back to top Go down
http://moneysavingwahm.blogspot.com
Godslittlegirl
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 11:40 pm

My son is going on 13 ...so this is wonderful for us. I am sooooo concerned about the increased level of drugs and violence in the school, that this is a no-brianer for me.

Even though my son is not into the drugs, or the gangs, etc....it is a serious distraction for him...and any othe child that really wants to go to school and learn. My son would dred getting on the school bus in the mornings....and he hated the over crowded classes. This is a God send for us. My son loves it...and he does very well. Also, it allows our family so much flexability. We can vacation when we want to, etc. As long as my son has internet access...he can attend school anywhere, at any time.
Back to top Go down
msqueenmB
Hitman
Hitman
msqueenmB

Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 4:50 am

this is really great news!!! I live in Ga now and I really like their public schools. I have one in K and 2nd grade. We are thinking about moving back to Fl. I heard bad things about their school system. These programs would be great when we move back to Nassau Co, which is in FL!!!!
Back to top Go down
Spinelli
Family
Family

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-08-01

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 8:42 pm

msqueenmB wrote:
this is really great news!!! I live in Ga now and I really like their public schools. I have one in K and 2nd grade. We are thinking about moving back to Fl. I heard bad things about their school system. These programs would be great when we move back to Nassau Co, which is in FL!!!!
The public school system in Florida is overall much better than Georgia's. I've done both. Have you researched the Nassau Co BOE to see how they compare to your current one? Because of course there's always differences county to county and I'm just curious! (or nosy,lol)
Back to top Go down
panzerswifey
Family
Family
panzerswifey

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 7:25 pm

We all use COVA (Colorado Virtual Academy) Over all we like it. But the high school is really like regular school, just at home.
The middle school the kids can work at their own pace.
We work 7 days a week because My kids work when they are ready.

My husband is deployed so that is why the kids are allowed to work when they feel like it. Mostly I do not have to fight them because they work all week so they can have weekends.
But if they are behind they will work on weekends.
As I type they are doing school work now.
I did not tell them, They just like being able to work from home.
Back to top Go down
naomirw
Family
Family

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 11:45 pm

My son is doing this also. it is our first year doing it. I just hope he will keep at the work. He is 15 and doesn't listen well.
Back to top Go down
Godslittlegirl
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 2:04 am

My son loves it. I let him start at 9:00am so that he gets more than enough rest to work. I feel sooooo sorry for the kids that are up at like 5:30am...getting dressed and so on to try to make a 7:00am bus...man...that has to wear on these kids. I always tell my son how blessed he is to be able to get up...have breakfast..and then start his work...and work at his pace until he is done. He is in work at home school heaven. Trust me ... he knows it too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FREE Virtual Public School   FREE Virtual Public School Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FREE Virtual Public School
Page 1 of 1