Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any gym rats out there who can help me?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cyndilouwhoo
cyndilouwhoo

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Any gym rats out there who can help me? Empty
PostSubject: Any gym rats out there who can help me?   Any gym rats out there who can help me? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 12:53 am

I have purchased a one year membership at my town's public fitness center and will be starting a 3 day a week workout this week.

As I think I have mentioned I really HATE to exercise but the one kind of exercise I do like is lifting weights/working out on a universal circuit--probably because I can sit in one place while doing it. lol!

So I will be doing two rotations on the universal machines but I need opinions on what is a better activity to warm up/cool down with--bike or the treadmill?

I hate both activities equally (Have I mentioned I hate to exercise?)--but I am wondering if one is better to get my blood pumping and burn calories? Working out on the universal helps to tone and/or build muscle but it doesn't burn calories -- and I need to do that if I want to continue to lose weight.

I am not in horrible physical shape--but this is the worst shape I have been in during my entire life -- and I am committed to making the changes I need in order to become healthier and more physically fit.

So any suggestions? I have some stretching exercises I will do before and after each workout as well -- but I need advice as to how to burn calories.

TIA! :)
Back to top Go down
lilbirdblue
Mafioso
Mafioso
lilbirdblue

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Any gym rats out there who can help me?   Any gym rats out there who can help me? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 2:33 am

I use to be a gym rat and loooved it.
My favorite thing to do...step aerobics.

I would wake up at 5:30am go to the gym and take the early step class 3 days a week and then two days a week I would do eliptical and the circuit AND then for fun on Saturdays I would take a spinning class....aaaaah, life before kids.

Anywho, my suggestion is if your gym has an eliptical machine to do the eliptical for warm up because it gets everything moving and warmed up. The eliptical is my cardio machine of choice :)

Don't forget to stretch really well after working out...take you time and really relax and stretch...helps build muscle (long and lean, baby!!!) and burn calories too.

AND (I'm sure you know this already) if you get sore after starting this new regiment...don't give up!!! keep working out.
JMO...if you are sore get in the floor and stretch!!! It really helps those muscles work the soreness out.

I would loooove to start working out again....
Back to top Go down
cyndilouwhoo
cyndilouwhoo

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Any gym rats out there who can help me?   Any gym rats out there who can help me? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 11:17 am

I didn't want to mention the elliptical. I was hoping no one would MENTION the elliptical. I HATE the elliptical.

Elliptical it is then.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! lol!

I should mention that my health insurance is paying up to $150/annually EACH for both my Weight Watchers and my Fitness membership--and many health insurers do if anyone is looking for help getting into shape.

I am also very lucky in that my town has a great fitness center right in town hall with state of the art equipment including bikes, (even a recumbent), 2 rowing machines, 3 ellipticals, 3 treadmills, a stairmaster and 2 universal circuits--all for $125/yr. It's not fancy (if you want a shower after your workout, you're out of luck but as far as equipment goes, it's great!).

This is one great example of how working at home can be to your advantage. I have the flexibility to figure out when I can best work out.

I love working at home!! cheers

And ren--there is life after kids. Very Happy My children are finally old enough not to need my attention 24/7 and I realized it's high time I did something for me!

I can hardly wait!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any gym rats out there who can help me?   Any gym rats out there who can help me? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any gym rats out there who can help me?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Mafia Hangouts :: Fitness and Health-
Jump to: