Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Penne with Spicy Eggplant

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
msdmg
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
msdmg

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Penne with Spicy Eggplant Empty
PostSubject: Penne with Spicy Eggplant   Penne with Spicy Eggplant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 5:26 am

The puttanesca sauce called for in this pasta dish is tomato-based and contains lively seasonings such as Kalamata olives, capers, anchovies, garlic and herbs. It blends superbly with cooked eggplant. Browning the eggplant first gives the sauce a pleasant roasted taste. You can substitute any tube-shaped pasta for the penne, if desired.

12 oz. (3 cups) penne (tube-shaped pasta)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium eggplant, cubed (1 inch) (4 cups)
1 1/2 cups purchased puttanesca pasta sauce*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup (1 oz.) finely grated ricotta salata or Parmesan cheese**
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or basil

1. Cook penne in large pot of boiling water according to package directions; drain.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant; cook, stirring frequently, 8 minutes or until well-browned. (Reduce heat to medium after 3 to 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning.) Add pasta sauce, salt and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until hot. Place in large bowl. Add pasta; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese and oregano.

TIPS
*Puttanesca sauce usually contains tomatoes, olives and anchovies. If it’s not available, use another full-flavored pasta sauce.
**Ricotta salata cheese is salted, pressed and aged for a firm texture; it has a slightly sharper taste than regular ricotta. Look for it in the cheese department of supermarkets or in Italian grocery stores.

4 servings

PER SERVING: 580 calories, 21 g total fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 g protein, 84 g carbohydrate, 5 mg cholesterol, 1210 mg sodium, 8 g fiber

**Again, not my recipe, but I think it sounds good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mywahsite
lilbirdblue
Mafioso
Mafioso
lilbirdblue

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Penne with Spicy Eggplant   Penne with Spicy Eggplant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 2:24 pm

this sounds very yummy :) TY
Back to top Go down
Mafia Princess
Admin
Admin
Mafia Princess

Number of posts : 6818
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Penne with Spicy Eggplant   Penne with Spicy Eggplant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 3:14 pm

I have never cooked eggplant before. I'm worried I would over cook it and make it rubbery
Back to top Go down
lilbirdblue
Mafioso
Mafioso
lilbirdblue

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Penne with Spicy Eggplant   Penne with Spicy Eggplant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm not a big fan of eggplant anyway but plan on replacing it w/a different veggie :)

This sounds like a good basic recipe...ya know
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penne with Spicy Eggplant   Penne with Spicy Eggplant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Penne with Spicy Eggplant
Page 1 of 1