Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bankruptcy

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
msdmg
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
msdmg

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Bankruptcy Empty
PostSubject: Bankruptcy   Bankruptcy Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:24 pm

Wondering if anyone has filed for bankruptcy and if so, how much did it cost you? And can you file online? It's not something I really want to do, but I think it would be the best option for me right now. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mywahsite
Godslittlegirl
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Bankruptcy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bankruptcy   Bankruptcy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 12:38 am

I filed before they changed the law in 2006 (if I recall correctly). I used a Bankruptcy lawyer, and she took care of everything, even coming to the court appearance for $1,500. She also told us to pay in installments as oppose to the whole thing at once.

Just for your Info.....many, many, lawyers will work it out for you to pay in installments...they understand you don't have it right then and there. Just look one up...and give a call. But, definitely, do it with a lawyer....because the laws are different now.
Back to top Go down
msdmg
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
msdmg

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Bankruptcy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bankruptcy   Bankruptcy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 3:14 am

Thanks for the information!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mywahsite
Don Giovanni
Work At Home Boss
Work At Home Boss
Don Giovanni

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Bankruptcy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bankruptcy   Bankruptcy Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:03 pm

Wow, perhaps that's a regional thing. When I was in the business, while a few lawyers would let you pay atty fees in installments, the vast majority would not because (1) the debt to the lawyer is technically discharged in the bankruptcy like everything else & the lawyer would have no recourse if you didn't pay; (2) Several of the United States Trustees (folks who oversee the nuts & bolts of the bankruptcy system) have issued opinions that a lawyer may not ethically collect (even voluntarily) fees on Chapter 7 cases post-filing. Now in Chapter 13 cases, you certainly can to arrange to pay some or all of the attorney's fee through the repayment plan.

Good luck - it can be done without an atty if you are up to a lot of reading & digesting. It's not rocket science, but it is technical. You can see my site at www.chapter7petitions.com to read more about what you would need to know.
Back to top Go down
Godslittlegirl
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Bankruptcy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bankruptcy   Bankruptcy Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 2:23 am

Well, I gotta tell ya Giovanni, as I have been in the biz too for a minute....some opinions on ethical behavior in law...well.....

I tend to think that some attys make their own rules from time to time. At least in my experience. Is it ethical...maybe not....

Do they do it...certainly they do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bankruptcy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bankruptcy   Bankruptcy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bankruptcy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome to the Family :: General Chatter-
Jump to: