Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Ideas???

Go down 
+3
$MoMMy$MoNey$
Hickory5
lilbirdblue
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lilbirdblue
Mafioso
Mafioso
lilbirdblue

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 12:43 pm

I've got a 12 month old with a binky....any ideas on breaking the habit???

Other than just taking it away and listening to him scream...

At this point, it helps when I'm trying to work and most people I mention it to say just let it run it's course....but it would be nice if I could get him out of the habit :)
Back to top Go down
Hickory5
Family
Family

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 1:17 pm

Our kids never used them, so I have no first hand experience. But, on one of those nanny shows, she had the child put them in the tree for the "binky fairy" (or whatever) to come get because new babies needed them. Then, in the morning a package was delivered with a surprise inside to thank him for giving away his binkies. Your child might be too young to understand that though...but that's all I've got! :)
Back to top Go down
$MoMMy$MoNey$
$MoMMy$MoNey$

Number of posts : 460

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 3:13 am

Hey ren!
Both of my kids took binkies for a few months. My oldest gave up the binky at 4 months for no known reason. I guess he just didn't like it anymore! Easy enough! lol
My 2-year-old used his binky until he was about 12 or 13-months old. Actually he would probably still like it now if he it was still around. He seemed very attached to it and it soothed him very nicely so I was concerned that it would be a hard time for him to part with it, but it wasn't bad at all. One thing I did was make sure that it was less visible and less accessible to him. I would put it up out of site (in different places of course so that he never quite knew where it was) and if he asked for it, I would get it for him, let him have it for awhile until he spit it out and forgot about it and then I would put it back up. It was the whole out-of-site, out-of-mind thing that got him to stop wanting it constantly. Initially I felt like I was getting it pretty frequently for him. I just made sure that I remembered to grab it and put it away when he wasn't using it anymore everytime and within the first few weeks he asked for it less and less until it was almost like he had forgotten about it. So it was gradual and he kinda eased his way into not needing it.

Other tips I have heard that work for some-
I have heard of parents poking a hole in the nipple part of the binky and a child losing interest because of the lack of suction, of course being careful not to make the binky a safety/choking hazard.

"Losing the binky" or having the child "throw the binky away" or replacing the binky for a neat toy at the toystore.

I have heard of parents allowing the child to keep the binky at home only by saying that "the binky might get lost when we go bye-bye so let's leave it at home where it is safe." Eventually their dependence on the binky would lessen since they have time away from it.

I agree that he probably will eventually not want or need it anymore on his own soon too. Getting rid of a binky can be very upsetting to a little one and very difficult for a parent too (especially the ones who work from home!) however if you gradually help him realize he doesn't need it as much as he thought he did, the process gets easier and easier until the binky is gone for good! :)

Hope this helps! Might give you some different ideas anyways!

Very Happy :)
Back to top Go down
almom
Hitman
Hitman

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 7:31 am

Luckily my son gave it up at around 9 months old, for no known reason. I think it might have been because he was used to one kind and I switched him to the Nuk kind (sort of like the poking a hole in it)...just anything different helps them lose attachment.

Now, I have a grandson (even though I'm only 32...well, it's a step-grandson, but still). He is already a little over 2 years old and his mommy (my step-daughter) lets him take it everywhere he goes and lets him have it all the time. I've tried to tell her a few things to maybe make him break the habit, but I guess she just doesn't want to deal with the whining. It's weird though, when he comes here he doesn't use it at all. Then, mommy gives it back to him. Hopefully he'll give it up soon.
Back to top Go down
cyndilouwhoo
cyndilouwhoo

Number of posts : 466

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:13 am

We did the "leave the bink" at home thing and it worked very well because #2 daughter was deathly afraid of losing it/leaving it behind.

At first she would make a beeline for the bink after we got home -- but like everything else in life there were more interesting things going on and she eventually lost interest in looking for it.

Far less painful on the ears than simply taking it away. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Godslittlegirl
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

Number of posts : 158

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 12:29 pm

My opinion.....and I know this is a little late for some....but....don't start the habit. You know ahead of time...it's going to be a hard one to break, and nine times out of ten....you will give up before your child does.lol!

I have three boys....I never gave any of them a Binky. They can't miss what they never had...right. ;)
Back to top Go down
lilbirdblue
Mafioso
Mafioso
lilbirdblue

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 1:39 pm

My dd never took the binky and never wanted it. dd used me as a passy...lol

My ds, on the other hand, would finish nursing and still want something....anything. I couldn't keep him at the breast like I did w/dd....when he was finished eating he was done and would rather suck on your finger...LOL....or cry!!! (if you don't know already...i can't stand to hear the little ones cry)

Any way, I have started the "out of site, out of mind" thing recently and he seems to be using it less. I have heard of altering the nipple so it is hard to suck on and I think that is my next step. He wants it for laying down to sleep but once he is asleep he spits it out....so for now he is using it less.

Unfortunately, he is not old enough to understand the binky fair or leaving it behind so it doesn't get lost....I hope he doesn't have it that long...LOL

keep ya posted :)
Back to top Go down
Godslittlegirl
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

Number of posts : 158

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 8:38 pm

Kids...gotta love em. They really keep us guessing, and on our toes. lol!

Good Luck.

P.S. I am totally with you with the crying thing...I don't think there is anything worse. :affraid:
Back to top Go down
Chellez
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Chellez

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 5:41 am

Godslittlegirl wrote:
My opinion.....and I know this is a little late for some....but....don't start the habit. You know ahead of time...it's going to be a hard one to break, and nine times out of ten....you will give up before your child does.lol!

I have three boys....I never gave any of them a Binky. They can't miss what they never had...right. ;)

I never give it to my son either and was pissed off when the nursery give it to him in the hospital.

But to show you how life is funny, he sucks his thumb.

All that hard work for nothing.

As for the op's question, I have no idea...sorry.
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://peddlerskitchen.com/store/affiliate.asp?aff=621
Sponsored content

Any Ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Ideas???   Any Ideas??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Ideas???
Page 1 of 1