Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who watches Swingtown?

Go down 
+4
LaneysMommy
soonermom74
msdmg
cyndilouwhoo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cyndilouwhoo
cyndilouwhoo

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Who watches Swingtown? Empty
PostSubject: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 4:14 pm

The CBS program about swinging in the 1970's.

I am in a fight with myself over whether I love the show or I hate it.

After the third episode I'm loving it.

It's rocky scriptwise but it has a lot of potential to become a fascinating show.

And I love the costumes. And the music. And the period detail.
Back to top Go down
msdmg
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
msdmg

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 5:46 pm

I have been watching it and like it so far. I'm not going to get too attached though...it seems like every summer they put a show on that I really start liking and then it never returns!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mywahsite
cyndilouwhoo
cyndilouwhoo

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 6:50 pm

True msdmg.

I don't get attached to much of anything on television anymore because I always seem to adore the shows that no one watches.

Boston Legal
Eli Stone
Pushing Daisies
Dirty, Sexy, Money
Life

All of these shows probably would not be on in the fall except for the writer's strike. And I absolutely love every one of these shows.

It gets very discouraging sometimes knowing that I seem to be a serial series killer. lol!
Back to top Go down
soonermom74
Family
Family

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 7:59 pm

I have not watched it. I refuse to watch it. It is sad to see such behaviors romanticized in any way. This lifestyle has been very destructive in many families. I have no desire to watch it played out on TV.
Back to top Go down
LaneysMommy
Family
Family

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Well I have it Tivo'd but who knows when I will actually get around to watching it.
Back to top Go down
Mafia Princess
Admin
Admin
Mafia Princess

Number of posts : 6818
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 8:29 pm

I have read about the show but not seen it. It sounds different
Back to top Go down
kita5784
Family
Family

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 11:19 pm

I like the show alot. its more than what people think thats actually going on in the show other "swinging". morally i dont agree with some of the decisions that are made in the show, but it is a fun to show to watch
Back to top Go down
cyndilouwhoo
cyndilouwhoo

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 11:34 pm

Well what is becoming sort of interesting to watch (for me at least) are two things:

The evolution of the 3 main couples in the show is one.

It appears as if the most uptight couple of the trio are going to let 'er rip--if you'll pardon the expression. Laughing

The other is that there is some foreshadowing going on within the plot that indicates that there will indeed be consequences for all three couples further down the line in the season.

I don't know how many people on this board were teenagers (or adults) in this period in time -- but divorce exploded in the '70's, partly because of feminism, and partly because of the sexual experimentation brought about in large part by the pill.

So all in all, I'm loving the show. I am glad to hear other people are watching it. That means maybe they won't cancel it!!!
Back to top Go down
cyndilouwhoo
cyndilouwhoo

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 2:21 pm

Well finally got a chance to sit down and watch the 4th episode of Swingtown.

Anyone watch the episode? What did you think of it?

It's still rolling around in my head and I haven't come to any conclusions other than there is big trouble ahead for the Deckers.

I have observed however that Grant Show is a total hottie in those stylin' '70's threads.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Bookeesmom
Wiseguy
Wiseguy

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 2:28 pm

I watch it and have to admit I watched half of the first show, missed the second one altogether and saw the third one all the way thru. Yes it is a good show, really interesting to me to watch the personalities there. I could not swing ever but it is interesting to see the mind set that would get someone to the place of swinging. I think the show is very well set up and very realistic of the 70's.
Back to top Go down
AimeeP
Mafioso
Mafioso
AimeeP

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 3:25 am

Hey, what is the premise of the show? I've never seen it, actually first I've heard of it is here. When is it on?
Back to top Go down
cyndilouwhoo
cyndilouwhoo

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 12:19 am

AimeeP wrote:
Hey, what is the premise of the show? I've never seen it, actually first I've heard of it is here. When is it on?

It's on Thursday nights at 10PM on CBS but I watch it on the web the next day.

The program is very different. I have decided I really like it a lot as well.

The "sizzle" is that the show is about the culture of "swinging" (or spouse swapping, however you want to characterize it) during the 1970's--which if this went on in my town among people my parent's age I totally missed it. Very Happy

The "steak" is the examination about the decade itself. Having been a teenager/young adult during that decade there are a lot of subtle touches in the program that speak volumes about the time and how we lived.

There was one scene in the last episode where the husband of one of the main characters takes out a $20 bill from his wallet, sort of dangles it in front of her -- and after finally handing it to her, tells his wife to "go buy something nice" for herself.

It's hard for me to imagine a scene like that playing out today but in many American households that's the way it was. Men controlled the money (and just about everything else) --and that was sort of that.

Even in homes today where men are the primary/sole breadwinners you'll hardly ever see that kind of thing play out because marriage is viewed more as a partnership. But that's the way it was that decade.

So it's kind of an interesting psychosocial/sociological look at the profound changes that took place in American Society during that period.

The music and fashions are pretty fun to see as well. Very Happy

I can understand though why people have issues with the way drugs, sex and sexuality are depicted during the 1970's in the show.

But for the most part the show is very accurate and very true to the time -- as morally thorny as that might be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who watches Swingtown?   Who watches Swingtown? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who watches Swingtown?
Page 1 of 1